Monday, October 1, 2007

Wake Me Up When September Ends...

This happened to me last night when Bryan literally came into my room and physically woke me up, but most importantly it is time to start waking up to get into the real work of the semester... Everyone in college knows what I am talking about. The first round of exams and papers is coming and it is time to shake off the habit of just reading or doing problem sets for class.

The thing that really upsets me about this time of year (besides of having to do tons of work), is that every teacher thinks that their class is the only class that you have. In the next 2 weeks (including today) I will have or have had 2 exams (one in class, one take-home), and 3 essays. Not to mention the fact that I have to start doing research for my 20 page paper due at the end of November. I am not complaining but seriously these situations put a lot of pressure on the students, but since according to the teacher you only have one class (their own) the work can't be that bad can it?

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to bring up my new idea for schools everywhere... no more mandatory work, no more grades, no more exams, no more papers. You are all wondering then what the new situation would be like, well I'll tell you. From a young age we will learn to love knowledge for knowledge itself, not for grades or anything of that nature, or for knowing that if we do not graduate then we won't get a job. There would be less stress and if successful students would WANT to do work to learn more and for no other reason than that... I know that if there would no grades I would still go to class, because I love to learn, but I definatly don't like exams and papers and most of all the pressure of it all.

No comments: